About First American
Sunday School: 9:30 am Sunday Service: 10:45 am
Parish Office: 605.935.6941
First American Lutheran Church was founded by Pastor G.A. Bischoff in 1886 as the German Evangelical Lutheran Church and was initially part of the Immanuel Parish. In December of 1896, the church left the Immanuel Parish and was known as the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Tripp as a part of the Iowa Synod. In 1900, the congregation called their first resident pastor, Rev. August Hein, who would serve the congregation for eighteen years. In 1910, the current church building was built to replace the first structure that was built in 1887. The congregation was officially renamed First American Lutheran Church on January 4, 1944, in accordance with the 1940 merger of the Iowa Synod into the American Lutheran Church. In 1968, First American Lutheran of Tripp formed a two-point parish with Hope Lutheran Church of Delmont, SD. Both congregations joined the Association of Free Lutheran Congregations in 2010.
Not For Just 100 Years But For Eternity – pdf version of the booklet commemorating the 100 year anniversary of First American Lutheran Church (1986)